Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What you need to know about swine flu...

So many misconceptions and fears out there re: swine flu. For the safety of you and your family, here is a reprint of the information the Center for Disease Control released Monday. Most important, be smart and don't panic.

Q. How do I protect myself and my family?

A. Scientists can’t say for sure, but in general, flu viruses spread through uncovered coughs and sneezes – or by touching your mouth or nose with unwashed hands. Flu viruses can live on surfaces for several hours – like a doorknob or desk.

Q. I’ve seen people on TV wearing face masks. Do I need one?

A. The CDC says there’s not good evidence that masks really help. It’s safer just to avoid close contact with someone who’s sick and avoid crowded gatherings in places where swine flu is known to be spreading. The CDC does say there is no harm in wearing a mask.

Q. Is swine flu treatable?

A. Yes, with Tamiflu or Relenza, but not with older flu medications.

Q. Should I start taking Tamiflu as a precaution?

A. No. Overusing antiviral drugs can help germs become resistant to them.

Q. How big is my risk?

A. For most of us, very low. Outside of Mexico, clusters of illnesses seem related to Mexican travel.

Q. Should I cancel my trip to Mexico?

A. The U.S. issued a travel advisory yesterday discouraging nonessential travel to Mexico.

Q. What are the symptoms?

A. Fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. Vomiting and the runs are also a possibility.

Q. How do I know if I should see my doctor? Maybe my symptoms are from pollen.

A. Health authorities say if you live in an area where swine flu cases have been confirmed, or you have recently traveled to Mexico, and you have flu-like symptoms. Go to the doctor, just to be safe.

Q. Is there a vaccine to prevent this new infection?

A. No. If you got a flu shot last winter, it’s not likely it will prevent swine flu.

Q. How long would it take to produce a vaccine?

A. The CDC says a few months, but the government has decided yet if it’s widespread enough to start making it.

Q. Is it safe to eat pork?

A. Yes. Swine influenza doesn’t spread through food.

Be Healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment